Sunday, December 03, 2006

Gardening at the moment is a bit slow. It's too wet and rainy to do much and the lawn really needs mowing! At the front I just have a few shrubs and rose bushes - apart from my beloved cherry blossom tree. I usually grow lots of poppies and other similar flowers in the spring. We do have a cherry (fruit) tree in the back that, alhamdulillah, bears us the most delicious Rainier cherries - however I think it's too close to the house and so will need to be transplanted next year inshaAllah. I also have a makeshift pond (its just a huge plant pot!) in which I grow a single water lily. There is a little jasmine, some bamboo which we initially tried so hard to remove, more rose bushes and that ubiquitous mint. Alhamdulillah the gardens are very small but amazingly take up so much time just on general maintenance, let alone the active gardening matters! One of my work colleagues recently returned from Pakistan and brought back a 'mothia/jasmine' plant for me. The soil is VERY sandy and the roots are visible all over. It took quite a bashing during its journey and the leaves were drying out a fair bit. InshaAllah I will try and replant this and keep it indoors. If just one flower bloomed from it, I would be content, inshaAllah.

4 comments:

Traveller said...

have u ever smelled the scent of 'raat ki raani'? so heavenly...

btw, do u listen to the gardening show on radio4? (bet u do..haha!) :P

Rihla 2006 said...

Welcome Traveller :)

Raat ki raani is beautiful and reminds me of Pakistan. However my favourite fragnance of Pakistan is, of course, the mothia flower's.

If I listened to the radio I sure would listen to it :) But, just don't seem to have the time for TV, radio etc these days - alhamdulillah.

Anonymous said...

your garden sounds lovely! :) and yummy rainer cherries :)

Anonymous said...

HEY !:D
keep up the gardening!
[this sounds like a dear diary post, haha]
Hope ur well

ws
ur flight companion :P